Things To Do
5 Sailed Windmill
The five-Sailed Windmill was built in 1837
The five-Sailed Windmill was built in 1837 by the local Alford millwright, Sam Oxley, whose business is still trading today under the name of R. Thompson and Sons; the only traditional millwrights in the country.
At one time there were four, five and six-sailed windmills in Alford, but today only the five-sailed mill remains. This mill is often considered to be the finest windmill in England and the novel use of five sails was based on efficiency experiments by the celebrated engineer John Smeaton. He is also credited with advocating the use of the rounded onion-shaped (Ogee) cap to reduce wind resistance.
The site consists of a working windmill and a shop in the old engine house which sells a wide range of locally milled, stoneground flour as well as a range of jams, cereals and gifts.